I’m pretty sure these are the first socks with cables on them that I’ve managed to complete! This is a nice pattern that’s just complicated enough to keep my interest but not so tricky that I could only work on it in total silence. This yarn is really lovely and the gold sparkles really shine through! It’s dyed using walnut shells (not something I’ve come across before) and you could tell because there were still some pieces in the fibre!
Pattern: Progressive Sock Party by Chrissy Gardener
Yarn and Needles: 6 yarns used. For full list see my Ravelry page (publicly viewable via this link). Worked two-at-a-time on 2 x 2.75 mm needles.
Dates: 25th July – 30th August 2012
- Socknitter’s Anonymous July 2012 knit-along challenge (Colourwork/colorwork)
- Worked the toe and heel in stranded pattern so the sock will (hopefully) wear at the same rate
- Quite pleased with the finished object but they are a little snug at the calf and I’m really not pleased with the massive gaps up the heel flap (see photo with large circle).
- The toe is a little pointier than I would normally have but it fits well enough.
I’ve dubbed these the SMS socks; Save My Sanity. Concentrating on the charts and the stranding kept my mind on the socks and not on any upsetting thoughts or feelings I was having. The past few weeks have been very rough, and I still have a long way to go, but I’m beginning to think the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t necessarily a train about to run me over.
For Sock Knitters Anonymous July 2012 Sockdown.
Challenge: Fair Isle/Stranded colourwork
Pattern: Chart from a 1946 “Silky Fair Isle Sweater” pattern from “Knitting in Vogue, volume 2″, modified by me. Heel = “Strong Heel”. My Ravelry Project Page.
Yarn and needles: MC = Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in “Charcoal” (97 grams / 365.5 yards). CC = Lang Yarns Jawoll Magic Colorway 1004 (30 grams / 131.1 yards). Knit Picks Harmony 2.5 mm D.P.Ns.
Dates: Started July 4 2012. Completed July 28 2012
- Pin stripe heels worked with opposite end of ball to maintain colour progression in foot
- Long-tail cast on over 2 needles, with one strand MC and one CC
- 1/1 rib for cuff. 1 rnd MC, 1 rnd CC
- Pinstripe wedge toe
- Small “box” pattern at toe
- This was my last roll of the dice with colourwork socks, and it seems to have worked out well. I accidentally did 1 more pattern repeat on the leg of the second sock because I attempted to count late at night!
The first knitting I’ve done in nearly two months:
And also the first post in … a month?
I have been experiencing Life. Some good, some bad, mostly indifferent.
Can’t promise regular posts or anything, but I’ll keep my hand in (there’s a “yer mom” joke in there somewhere).
Yarn is Dark Yarn’s new sock base in the colour Robot Unicorn Attack v1. It’s like a Pride party for feet! :D