Pattern: Mini Argyle Beret by Angela Sixian Wu. Mittens were based on numbers from Ann Budd’s “The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns” and the “Mittens+Gloves=Glittens” pattern. [My Ravelry Project Page]
Yarn and needles: Patons UK Diploma Gold 4ply in Black and Cream. Mittens and hat used up 1 ball of each colour (2 balls, approx 400 yds, in total). Magic loop technique with 2.5 mm 100 cm long circular needle.
Notes and modifications:
- Really pleased with how these turned out. The mittens are super-warm and very practical. I’m glad I made the effort to do the flip top thumbs as it makes handling things like coins, without exposing myself to frost bite, very easy!
- Used the hat’s main pattern on the backs of the mittens
- Palm of mittens worked in simple chequerboard pattern
- Flip tops created for both fingers and thumb, as per Glittens! pattern (excluding the fingers)
- Full thumb gusset
- Mittens are chiral (handed)
- Alternate cable cast on for both hat and mittens
- Chiral Latvian braid on the mittens
- App shown is County for Android. Disclosure: I know the developer, Polly, but I was not paid for this product placement. This version of the app is the free one anyway!