Pattern: Quintessence II by Tiina Kuu
Yarn and needles: Adriafil Globe Uni (Aran-weight wool/nylon multi-plied yarn) in colour 24. Three 50 g balls used (approx 260 m total). Plus, some grey Aran-weight yarn for the toes. Five 3 mm square metal dpns.
- No modifications other than for fit.
- I quite liked working with this yarn. It’s made a pretty bullet-proof fabric, which is idea for their intended purpose; boot socks for my dad. It was pretty cheap, too at £2.99 per ball (purchased in the summer of 2013 from Purl City Yarns in Manchester)
- Ran out of the Adriafil before I got to the toes so grabbed some Aran-weight stuff I had waiting around to be made into a Norwegian-style jumper for my dad.
- Cast on using the Alternate Cable Cast On so it would flow straight into the twisted rib of the cuff.
- I used some square needles for the first time making these. I’m not sure if they were easier on the hands as they are purported to be (I was knitting Aran-weight on 3 mm, it was never going to be a cake walk!) but it wasn’t an unpleasant experience.
- THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT!!!! My dad likes them, they fit and he said they were very comfortable, kept his feet warm AND he forgot he was wearing them. I calling this one a BIG WIN!!!