Ripply collar be gone! Slightly later than I’d anticipated due to illness, present-knitting, the Advent scarf, more illness and my inability to follow a pattern correctly I present:
I accidentally knit the bottom edging in stocking stitch instead of garter but I liked it enough to keep it!
I worked the side edging in garter as per the pattern but altered the back lace to be in stocking stitch with garter edging to match my “design element”!
I can see this being a good seasonal-transition piece as well as excellent for layering (I’m all about the layering!).
The yarn is from an independent dyer I found on Folksy and although it’s not in my normal colour range (yellow and bluey-green!) I really like it.
I’d previously blogged about the problems I had with the back-neck having too much fabric in it but this was very easily fixed and I think you’ll agree, it’s improved the fit.
There were lots of ends to weave in and I felt some of this could have been eliminated. For example, the underarm stitches are left “live” and you are then instructed to pick up stitches around the armhole and immediately cast them off. If I’d had more confidence I would have cast off the underarm stitches at the point where you divide for the front and back, which would have eliminated two ends to weave.
I didn’t follow the instructions for the armhole but instead found a crochet edging which mirrored the “spiky” nature of the lace pattern and used that instead.
Yarn: Wharfedale Woolworks BFL Aran in “September Song”. Approx. 450 yds used.
Size: on the advice of the designer I made the 38″ size so it would fit my back and not be too loose.
- Knit bottom lace in stocking stitch instead of garter (accidental mod)
- Worked back lace pattern in st. st. to mirror bottom lace
- Crochet edging around armholes