Pattern: Traditional Gansey Socks by Wendy Johnson from the book “Socks From The Toe Up” [My Ravelry Project Page]
Yarn: Regia Silk 4-ply (wool/silk/nylon). Approx. 400 yds/360 m used for both socks.
Needles and knitting style: One 2.5 mm Addi 100 cm long circular needle for Magic Loop. Worked two-at-a-time. Combination/Eastern Uncrossed style throughout.
Sock style: Toe up with gusset heel and wedge toe.
Dates: June 21st – September 28th 2009
- Made size L (9.25 in circumference) for my mum’s feet.
- Leg height approx. 8 in/20 cm.
- Altered ribbing at top to continue garter stitch motif from pattern.
- Cast off cuff with 4 mm crochet hook to make it as non-binding as possible.
- Used the Magic Loop technique for the first time and really liked it. It was easy to use with the toe-up pattern and casting on both socks at the same time was very simple.
- Used Judy’s Magic Cast On for the toes. I really can’t see me using any other cast on for toe-up socks from now until the end of time.
- The fit of these socks is great (my mum nearly didn’t get to keep them) and the pattern is well written (as usual). The stitch motif was pretty easy to memorise.