Name: Jessica (link to Ravelry project page)
Pattern: (name, author, source) Sleeveless Sweater, Barbara Walker, “Knitting From The Top”.
Size(s): (to fit, finished size) 46 inches bust, 44 inches bust (negative ease)
Yarn: (name, fibre, weight, colour) Debbie Bliss “Cotton Angora”, cotton/angora, Aran-weight, baby blue/steel blue-grey. I used around 5 and a half balls of yarn, which works out to approximately 500 m or 550 yds.
Needles: (size, material, style) 4.5 mm circular bamboo for main body (inc. lower ribbing), US6 Denise plastic interchangeable for neck and armhole ribbing.
Knitting style: (for stitch patterns) Combination/Continental throughout.
Modifications: It’s a custom-knit pattern so none, really!
Notes: Just the 10 months in the making, but I finally made it!
My initial inspiration for this top came from Ms. Marigold by Zephyr Style and Mesh Tank by Stef Japel. Both have deep, plunging V-necks and a sleeveless, pullover style.
Short row shaping at the bust
Positive points from this knitwear item:
- There was no significant change in my gauge when switching from in-the-flat to in-the-round knitting.
- I really enjoy top-down knitting
- It fits just like I wanted it to because I used “darts” (increasing and decreasing) on the front and back to shape the waist
- It’s warm
- I like the colour more than I thought I would (I got the yarn on sale!)
Side “seam” and bust dart.
Not-so positive points:
- The short row wraps at the shoulders are pretty visible because I didn’t do a very good job hiding them.
- The yarn sheds like a mo-fo (so much so that I suspect I’ll end up with an item made solely from cotton in a few washes).
- The weaving in of ends is not as smooth or invisible as I would like.
- The yarn sheds a lot.
- My cast off on the lower edge is a bit tight.
- I keep finding half a bunnys-worth of fibre whenever I take the top off.
- It’s a little shorter than I’d originally imagined (but it is cotton, and I think it’s already beginning to stretch with just two outings).
- Did I mention that the yarn sheds?
Half the shavings from my lint roll after 1 day of wearing.
Overall, I’m pleased with how this turned out and knitting this style of top from the neck down is definitely something I’ll do again.