Name: Upsized Widdershins for Mum (Ravelry project page)
Yarn: (name, fibre, weight, colour) Sock it Too Me Puzzle Collection (wool/nylon) sock/fingering-weight in red/green/blue/black & white fair isle stripes. I used about 80 g (335 m/370 yds) for both socks, with 12g of yarn remaining. My mum picked this yarn from my stash herself.
Needles: (size, material, style) 2.5 mm bamboo double points
Construction: (toe/heel/ribbing/cast off or cast on) Magic Cast On for toe, gusset and heel flap, 2/2 ribbing with stretchy cast off.
Number of stitches: (in foot/in leg) 72 in foot, 72 in leg increasing to 80
- Increased the number of foot stitches from 54 to 72 and therefore cast on more stitches at the toe (24 to be exact).
- Added more toe increase rows to get up to the required number.
- Worked the leg in 2/2 ribbing and added calf shaping.
Notes: Started on the 4th or 5th of December (I can’t remember) and finished on the 23rd.
Completed in a ridiculously short space of time (for me, anyway) and will therefore be an actual Christmas present gifted on Christmas day!
I’m not very happy with the way the heel came out. This was my fault, not the pattern. I was knitting over more stitches than the pattern stated and I forgot the the heel turn would take a larger number of rows than in the pattern. Therefore, I should have started the gusset increases much sooner than I did. To stop the sock being too long, I abbreviated the heel turn, leaving it quite stubby-looking.
Overall, I’m quite happy with the way the socks turned out, but I’m not sure this is the pattern for me.
In any case, they will keep my mum’s feet warm which is, of course, the whole point!