I didn’t win the Summer of Socks design contest, but I’ll make the Turning and the Apple pattern available to buy in a few days, after I’ve posted the “Finished Object” post.
And I’ll also announce the winners of my own little contest in the next few days once I’ve contacted the three winners. Can you stand the excitement? 😀
Kristi said “Jump“. I thought “How High?” 😀
The following is partly for her, and partly for me. I’m currently planning what I’m packing for my trip in October and it’s really got me thinking about colour. So, here goes!
1. What is your current favourite colour?
Hmm … I’d probably have to say orange or purple.
2. Had your favorite color changed over the years?
No – it’s pretty much always been purple!
3. Is your current favorite color one that is currently trendy? (Do you see it in the fashion rags or on the clothes rack or in the linen aisle right now? How about 5 years ago?)
I have no idea. I vaguely follow “trends”, by which I mean I notice them, but rarely slavishly give into them.
4. What is your favorite color combination?
Hot pink and sunset-orange, or red and black.
5. Is that combination a popular one? (Is it use in prints you see in the stores and catalogs and magazines now? How about 5 years ago?)
Again, no idea really!
6. What is your favorite way of using color in your knitting? (Are you a stranded knitter? Do you prefer simple stripes? Do you prefer just accents at the hems/collars?)
Seriously, I like all those techniques for different reasons and different purposes. I tend not to do simple stripes unless it’s on socks, but I don’t shy away from automatically-striping yarn in garments.
7. What colors look good on you?
Brown, red, orange, purple. Generally, strong but muted tones with the occational vibrant splash of colour
8. What colors look bad on you?
Yellow, lime greens, stark white or black.
9. Do you wear colors that don’t look good on you just because you like them?
No. Apart from black and white, I tend to avoid them.
10. What is your favorite neutral color? black/white/ivory/tan/brown/gray – if brown or gray do you prefer cool or warm versions of those or does it matter? And, how dark?
Currently, it’s brown. I gravitate towards chocolate-type shades.
11. Is there a sweater pattern that uses more than one color that you’d like to make, but you wish to change the colors from what is published? If yes, which one? What do you not like about the published colors?
I can’t think of one off the top of my head, but if there was one I was lusting after, I would almost certainly want to change the colours! It’s very likely that I’d want to substitute the yarn in the first place, but it’s highly unlikely that the published colours would be those I’d like to wear.
I have a fair amount of confidence in choosing colours, but I like patterns that provide alternatives and suggestions for colour schemes (such as Philosopher’s Wool).