Pattern: Moody Stockings by Erica Lueder from Dreams in Fiber. The Sock Knitters Anonymous mystery sock-a-long pattern for November 2012. Technique: Texture
Yarn and needles: Posh Yarn’s Jeannie in “Froggy Went A-Wooing”. 2-ply fingering weight yarn. 400 yds per 100g. 83 g/ 332 yds used. 2.5 mm Knit Picks Harmony/Symphonie double pointed needles.
- No modifications as per Sock Knitters Anonymous knit-a-long rules.
- In this yarn, on these needles, this makes a very stretchy sock. I would highly recommend going down a couple of needle sizes or trying to reduce the number of stitches in the pattern if you have an average or small-sized foot.
- I thought that the colours in this yarn were going to obscure the stitch pattern, but that isn’t the case (at least, in natural light. Artificial light flattens it and makes the purl stitches recede somewhat)
- Sorry for the non-modelled shots but these aren’t socks for me! Just on the off-chance that the recipient is reading this, I won’t say for whom they are destined!
Ziggurat Cowl (sorry, this was the least blurry photo I took!)
I can finally show what I was working on in March! A cowl design for Knit Now magazine.
And I made the front cover!
The sample for the magazine is made in Debbie Bliss Rialto 4 ply yarn.
I knew I wouldn’t get it back for a while, but I really wanted my own version. I grabbed some sock yarn from my stash and cast on:
For this version I did a temporary crochet cast on and grafted the two ends together instead of the seam used in the version for the magazine.
I love how the multi-coloured yarn zig-zags across the cowl and almost (if you squint) makes it look like an argyle patterning.
I’ll be back soon with an update on more recent goings-on (both health and knitting). Thanks for having patience.
The Happiest Socks in the World?
Pattern: Show-off Stranded Socks by Anne Campbell [Project Page]
Yarn and needles: Dark Yarn‘s Charybdis Sock (75% Merino, 20% Nylon, 5% Gold Metallic 430 yards / 100 grams – 85 g used) in Robot Unicorn Attack v1. Knit Picks Frankenwood 2.25 mm d.p.n.s.
Size(s): Large to fit 9″/23 cm long and 9″/23 cm diameter foot. Leg height approx. 7″/18 cm.
Dates: 3rd June – 4th July 2012
Details of the heel; gusset in reverse stocking stitch.
- Sock Knitters Anonymous June 2012 Challenge: Designer Anne Campbell (skajun12)
- Long Tail Cast on over 2 needles
- 2/2 rib in cuff
- about 7” leg height
- I love this yarn more than words can express. It’s a party in merino-form. Also, there are gold sparkles.
- Reverse stocking stitch gusset (one of the options in the pattern)
- It was the first time I’d come across this style of heel and I really like it. It fits me well and I like how you knit in the round all the way, apart from the heel turn on the sole.
2paw – I owe you a very long email. Ditto April. And probably a few other people!
Thanks for the well-wishes. I spent the 7th of January in good company enjoying lovely coffee and cake and fondling many yarns and then spent the next day (my actual birthday) recovering! Not a bad start to the year.
Instead of doing individual FO/WIP posts for the stuff I’ve finished and have on the go I’ll just do a quick-and-dirty round up of some stuff now and some other things later in the month.
Fluffy Bunny and Camo Ninja minions for my sister-in-law and brother, respectively.
Gentleman's Sock in Railway Stitch in Araucania and Regia Stretch for my dad (bit late for Christmas, never mind!)
Windward by Woollywormhead - best modelled shot I could get, sorry!
I also have a pair of finished wristwarmers, a finished shawl for me, a finished cardigan for my mum (only 3 days late), some things I made for a swap last year, plus a purge of UFOs and probably lots of other stuff I’ve forgotten about.
I’ll get there … eventually!